The cannabis plant is probably the least understood and most controversial of nature’s creations. It’s also one of Mother Nature’s greatest gifts to mankind, thanks to the countless benefits of cannabis tinctures.
What are Cannabis Tinctures?
A cannabis tincture is an alcohol-based cannabis extract. Cannabis tinctures are made by extracting the cannabis plant’s natural compounds with food-grade alcohol (or glycerine) as a solvent. This means cannabis tinctures are highly concentrated cannabidiol extracts.
Cannabis Tincture Administration
An essential property of cannabis tinctures is their versatility — particularly in the way they’re administered. Here are the three most common ways:
- Sublingual. This is the administration of a tincture under the tongue. Sublingual administration is fast, making it useful for alleviating intense breakthrough pain.
- Ingestion. Another way of administering cannabis tinctures is by putting a few drops in food or drink. The onset is usually slow, but the effect can be more pronounced.
- Topical. Cannabis tinctures can be topically applied when treating skin ailments such as acne, skin irritation, or injuries.
Now that you know what they are and why they’re important, let’s dive into the six unique benefits of cannabis tinctures.
Cannabis Tinctures — 6 Unique Benefits They Bring
The cannabis plant contains many compounds with unique properties. Two of the most common are:
- Cannabidiol (CBD). CBD is one of the hundreds non-intoxicating chemical compounds found in cannabis plants. CBD tincture benefits are more on the physical plane, such as pain relief and others we’ll look at shortly.
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the main psychoactive cannabinoid in cannabis. It’s responsible for inducing the sensation of getting “high” often associated with cannabis. THC tincture benefits are more on the neurological side of the body, though they do overlap into the physical side.
These two chemical compounds contribute to a variety of benefits, such as:
1. Pain Relief
One of the most significant benefits of CBD and THC tinctures is that they’re excellent at relieving pain, even in extreme cases resulting from illnesses such as multiple sclerosis, migraines, or arthritis. Research shows that CBD and THC bind to the endocannabinoid receptors in your brain and immune system and produce anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects without causing any negative side effects.
2. Reduces Cancer-related Symptoms
Cannabis tinctures have been known to alleviate cancer symptoms. They’re also good at reducing the side effects related to cancer treatment, such as nausea, vomiting and pain.
3. Alleviate the Symptoms of Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders
Cannabidiols have the ability to act on the body’s endocannabinoid system and other brain signaling systems, providing relief for people with neurological conditions. For example, tinctures high in CBD and with very low THC content have been proven to be effective in treating epilepsy. While research is still ongoing, scientific research has proven that CBD is effective in reducing epileptic seizures, even in young children.
Other neurological disorders that can be treated with CBD tinctures include Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, and multiple sclerosis, among others.
4. Reduces Anxiety and Depression
Another benefit CBD tinctures bring to the table is that they help reduce anxiety. Studies show that people who have taken CBD have lower anxiety scores and improved sleep quality. The research shows that CBD shows positive results in treating different types of anxiety including GAD, OCD, and social anxiety. CBD tinctures are also effective in treating depression.
5. Helps with Heart Health
Cannabis tinctures have been linked with several benefits for the heart and circulatory system. More importantly, CBD tinctures help reduce blood pressure. This is significant as blood pressure is linked to other severe health conditions like stroke and heart attack, among others.
Besides lowering blood pressure, CBD has been proven to reduce inflammation and cell death associated with heart disease. This helps improve heart health.
6. Can Treat Skin Diseases
The topical application of CBD tinctures can be helpful in treating some skin diseases because cannabidiols have antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant properties. These make them effective in treating skin diseases like:
- Dryness and itching
Cannabis Tinctures — Dynamite in Small Packages
They say dynamite comes in small packages. That’s the best way to describe cannabis tinctures. Though they may come in tiny bottles, each drop packs a punch. If you relate to any of the ailments mentioned above, cannabis tinctures could do you some good.
So go ahead and find a California dispensary near you and get yours today!